April 30, 2012
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 400 Americans die each year due to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. The agency says that another 20,000 are sent to hospital emergency rooms because of the gas, with more than 4,000 requiring hospitalization.
Unfortunately, one Connecticut family of seven is now a part of those numbers after becoming ill from a CO buildup in their home. According to WTNH 8 News, the incident occurred this morning at their home on Valley Road in Greenwich, Connecticut. Firefighters say they were called to the home around 4:00 a.m. after one of the family members called for assistance saying everyone in the home felt sick. Upon arrival, firefighters tested the home for toxic gas and found the home had 600 parts per million of CO gas in the home. A normal reading is between zero and six parts per million. The entire family was taken to a local hospital to receive treatment for their condition and all are expected to fully recover.
The fire marshal determined that the gas leak was coming from a faulty boiler in the home and stated that both it and the home's CO detector-which did not go off-should be replaced.
The Connecticut Accident Attorneys with Carter Mario Injury Lawyers suggest having all gas appliances and CO Detectors inspected once a year by a professional in order to ensure all equipment is properly working.