The Connecticut Fire and Burn Injury Lawyers with Carter Mario Injury Lawyers say the report recently released on the cause of a fatal home explosion that occurred last year highlights the dangers natural gas in a home can pose. The blast occurred just before 6:45 p.m. on August 29, 2012 at a residence located on Sun Valley Road in the town of Milford.
According to an article from NBC-Connecticut, the New Milford Fire Marshal's Office released the report, in which investigators stated the leak began when a natural gas line was not properly capped following the removal of a liquid propane dryer from the home. The leak had not occurred earlier because the line had been shut off, but when the home had a new gas hot water heater installed, the line was opened and liquid propane leaked into the basement.
During an inspection to find the leak, something ignited the gas and an explosion occurred. The 47-year-old contractor was killed in the blast, while his 9-year-old son and the homeowner sustained serious fire and burn injuries.
Such accidents leave many residents wondering how they can protect their families from the dangers of natural gas.
Carter Mario's team of Connecticut Personal Injury Lawyers explains having all gas appliances and furnaces inspected annually will help to ensure no leaks occur. If you smell natural gas in your home, an odor similar to rotten eggs, leave the residence immediately and call your gas provider to report the potential leak.