A New Milford, Connecticut, man was killed and two others seriously injured as the result of a home explosion and fire that erupted several weeks ago. According to NBC Connecticut News, the incident occurred at around 6:40 p.m. on Wednesday, August 29 at a home located on Sun Valley Road.
The owner of the home was attempting to repair a propane leak with a friend who owned a local home heating and plumbing business when gas began to build in the home. The gas soon ignited; causing a massive explosion that leveled the two-story farmhouse. The friend who was helping the homeowner was killed in the blast, while the deceased victim’s 9-year-old son and the 46-year-old homeowner were listed in critical condition after suffering several fire and burn injuries, a collapsed lung, and several broken bones. The boy was released a few days after arrival, while the injured homeowner says he expects to be discharged in several weeks.
Experts say that propane leaks are responsible for dozens of blasts that cause injuries each year, making it important to protect your family from this type of accident.
The Connecticut Personal Injury Lawyers with Carter Mario Law Firm says it’s important to have your gas lines and appliances inspected yearly to ensure there are no leaks. If a leak develops, it’s vital that the service be shut off immediately and professionals called to make the appropriate repairs.