If you’ve been injured in an accident that you didn’t cause, you may be wondering whether it is worth it to hire a personal injury lawyer or if you can get away with handling your case on your own. While it is entirely up to you whether or not to work with a lawyer, there are many reasons why legal representation is in your best interests.
Here are five compelling reasons why you should consider hiring a personal injury lawyer:
- A lawyer has in-depth knowledge of the legal process. Most people lack the depth of knowledge that it takes to pursue maximum compensation from the at-fault party’s insurance company. Without experience, an accident victim may unwittingly do or say something that severely harms or even costs them their entire case. Working with an attorney who has experience handling similar cases can help you avoid these common pitfalls and preserve your claim.
- Working with a lawyer may increase your chance of receiving fair compensation. Insurance companies employ teams of lawyers to defend against insurance claims and deny injured people the compensation they desperately need and are entitled to. They know the most effective ways to avoid liability and are aware that they have the upper hand when the victim does not have legal representation. By putting an advocate in your corner who is familiar with how to effectively combat these tactics, as well as how to maximize the value of a claim, you can ensure that the playing field is leveled and your odds of being fairly compensated are increased.
- An attorney is motivated to get results. The majority of personal injury lawyers, including those at Carter Mario Injury Lawyers, work on a contingency fee basis. This means that your attorney will only accept fees for their services if they win your case. If your attorney doesn’t get you money, they don’t get paid! This arrangement can be of great benefit to you for two reasons: first, you will have an experienced advocate championing your best interests, and second, your attorney will be motivated to bring you the highest settlement possible as quickly as possible.
- An attorney can help you understand the true value of your claim. Many accident victims are not aware of how much their claim is really worth because they don’t know all of the things they can claim compensation for. A lawyer can investigate the circumstances of your accident to determine the types of damages you are able to pursue and what their value may be. Depending on the circumstances of your accident, you may be able to seek compensation not only for the costs of treating your injury but also for lost wages, pain, and suffering, and more.
- If necessary, a lawyer can try your case in court. While the majority of personal injury cases don’t end up going to trial, it is still beneficial to have a lawyer on your side who is prepared for that possibility. Keeping this option open can often be enough to show the insurance company that you are serious and won’t back down from a fight. The insurance company likely won’t want to deal with the time and expense of a potential trial, increasing the likelihood that they will offer a sufficient settlement upfront.
Still, deciding whether to hire an attorney? We encourage you to contact Carter Mario Law Firm to schedule a complimentary consultation and learn more about how we can help. There is no obligation to hire our firm and no risk to you in learning how we can help you obtain compensation.
Our experienced team of Connecticut personal injury lawyers is trusted throughout the state for our commitment to high-quality representation and outstanding service. We truly care about helping to make you whole again after a serious injury.