No matter how careful you are when you drive, an auto accident can happen to anyone. Crashes can be disorienting and painful, so in order to help you determine the next steps, we have come up with the checklist of 10 things you should do after an auto accident:
1) Stay Calm
2) Check for Injuries
3) If possible, move your car away from traffic and turn on your hazard lights.
4) Call 911.
5) Exchange information with the person in the other vehicle, including insurance, contact info and registration.
6) Take photos of both vehicles and the surroundings. Be sure to focus on the damage to the vehicles and the conditions outside.
7) Be polite, but do not admit fault in any accident.
8) Discuss the accident with police officers only.
9) Never leave the scene of the accident before the police arrive.
10) Contact your insurance agent and a personal injury lawyer to assess your case.
Following these steps will ensure that you are protected legally should you be involved in an auto accident. If you have any other questions about what you should do in the event of a car accident, call Carter Mario today. One of our legal team will be happy to assist you with your questions and needs.