When riding a motorcycle, there are several things riders should do to ensure the safety of themselves and others on the road.
- Always wear a helmet that is equipped with a face shield or protective eyewear.
- Always wear protective clothing: Leather clothing and/or reflective clothin is best to protect yourself and to ensure that other riders, pedestrians and drivers can see you.
- Be sure to practice defensive driving at all times: Do not expect othe drivers to yield to you or see you. Motorcyclists are often in the blin spot of the drivers of other vehicles while on the road. Expect this and ride accordingly.
- Keep up with your education: Be sure that your license is up to date. Refin your riding skills with additional classes if they are available.
When preparing to ride, remember to check –
- The tires
- The area under the bike for signs of oil or gas leaks
- The lights and signal functions
- The hydraulic and coolant fluid levels
Once on the bike, riders should check –
- The clutch and the throttle
- The mirrors
- The brakes
- The horn
Always remember that defensive driving is the key – courtesy is cool.