More than 1,000 people visit the emergency room with
dog bite injuries each day in the United States. Sadly, many dog bite victims are young children under the age of seven years old. No matter the age of the victim, dog bites can be incredibly painful and very expensive to treat. If you’ve been hurt, you should know that you have legal recourse.
Connecticut law states that a dog owner is liable if their dog causes injuries or other non-injury damages to another person, unless those damages were sustained as a result of a person’s teasing or abuse of the dog. The victim does not have to prove that the owner knew of should have known that the dog was dangerous, nor do they have to show that the dog owner’s negligence caused their injury. Because Connecticut dog bite law is based on strict liability, the injured person is entitled to pursue damages without having to bear the burden of proof, providing that they were not trespassing on the dog owner’s property and were not provoking the animal.
If you have been bitten by a dog in Connecticut, here’s what you should do:
- Obtain the name, contact information, and insurance information of the dog owner. If there were other witnesses, try to obtain their information as well.
- Take photos of your injury. This can be used as evidence in a potential personal injury claim.
- Seek medical attention to have your wound cleaned and treated. Without proper wound care, dog bites can become infected and lead to severe and long-term complications.
- File a report with your local animal control agency.
- DO NOT discuss anything money-related or accept any settlement from the dog owner or their insurance adjuster. Avoid giving any statements or discussing who is responsible for the incident without first consulting a lawyer.
- Contact a dog bite attorney for assistance obtaining full and fair compensation.
Carter Mario Injury Lawyers represents dog bite victims throughout the State of Connecticut. If you have been injured, we encourage you to contact our firm to learn more about how we can help you recover money for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and possible reconstructive surgery. With our No Fee Guarantee®, you won’t owe us anything for our services unless we win your case. Protecting your rights is our top priority!
Get started by requesting a free case evaluation
with our firm today. We’re available 24/7 to take your call.